Looking for something new and simple to try for your next picnic? I present you my new favorite recipe – Apple Quinoa Salad!
Perfect (non-animal) protein + nature’s perfect fruit + maple syrup = levels of wonder you never dreamed possible in one simple salad.
Recipe for Apple Quinoa Salad
Prep – 15 minutes (basically cutting and mixing things together)
Cooking Time – 15 minutes for the quinoa
Refrigeration Time – 1 hour prior to serving (or longer)
Serves – 6-8
- 1 Cup Apple Juice
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1 Cup Water
- 3/4 tsp. Cinnamon, Ground
- 3 Red Apples, Diced
- 1 Cup Celery, Diced OR 1 Cup Walnuts, Chopped (OR BOTH!)
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Juice of About 1 Lemon
- Brown Sugar (optional)
- Add apple juice, water, quinoa and cinnamon to medium saucepan and bring to boil. After boil is reached, turn heat to low and cover saucepan.
- Cook quinoa mixture for 15 to 20 minutes – until liquid is completely absorbed. Be sure to check after 10 minutes or so.
- Refrigerate quinoa mixture for at least 1 hour; can be prepared the night before.
- Add the apples, cranberries (and/or walnuts), celery, oil, salt, maple syrup and brown sugar (if you so choose). Squeeze lemon juice over salad; depending on size/juiciness of lemon you’ll need to use the entire lemon.
- Toss it around a bit and stick back in the fridge for a bit or EAT!